Thursday, April 23, 2009

Daniel's Medical Update (Long)

I need to start off with a very big thank you. So many of you have been praying for Daniel and also for Troy and I. I can't even begin to express the gratitude I have for those prayers. To my friends, my family, my co-workers, my fellow bloggers (who I also consider my friends) thank you from the bottom of my heart for your prayers.

THEY ARE WORKING!! While we are not completely out of the woods, we are getting there. Read on...

Yesterday Daniel had his follow up tests at the hospital. This particular test was one we had not done before and I was a little worried. I shouldn't have been. Daniel was a trooper. My mom accompanied me yesterday because Troy was unable to come. My mom has been such a help to me, I can't thank her enough either. She's so organized and helpful. She brings special toys for Daniel in her purse, she brings drinks and snacks in her bag for Daniel and for me, because she knows I won't eat in the morning. She reminds me when it time to eat because I get frazzled when I'm there, she asks the doctors all the questions, I can’t wrap the words around, when I'm trying to watch Daniel and at the same time listen to all the medical terms and she entertains Daniel in the small waiting rooms so I can relax. What would I do without her?

The first lady we ran in to in the waiting room had a three year old daughter, a nine month old son and was very pregnant. We chattered and finally my mom commented on her son's bright red hair and how adorable it was. She looked a little sheepish and then admitted that he was a foster child that they were hoping to adopt in the next few months. I immediately told her how wonderful it was and then told her I had to admit a little secret of my own. I told her about Daniel's adoption and we had such a nice time chatting about adoption in general.

Once they called us back my mom went to a special waiting room and I went in to the room where the test would be done with Daniel. Once I had him undressed he looked at me and said "Mommy, I need to pee". So I wrapped in a towel and took him down the hall to the potty and he peed!! We went back to the room and we were getting ready to start and he says "Mommy, I need to go poopy." I wrapped him again and he went! I was starting to think he wanted out of the tests but I was so thrilled because yesterday was the first time he really told me he needed to go on his own!!

Once we settled in they had to insert a cathedar (no fun) and then connect a bunch of tubes and also put a bunch of sensors (sticky ones) on all the muscles of the bladder around his pelvic area. Once that was done, the table lifted up slowly and dropped him on to what looks like a regular potty but has a measuring cup in the bottom. Once we got him settled on the potty and I was all wrapped up in a lead gown, I got to squat next to him and hold one hand. He stayed pretty still, especially for his age and did great. He cried a little when they started filling his bladder because it's a cold sensation and suddenly he looked at me and said again "Mommy, I need to pee". The doctor said that was good but to try to hold it so I told Daniel "to try to stop it" and he said so sweet "Okay Mommy, I stop it". Finally the doctor said he could go ahead and pee and I was so proud of my baby. He looked at me and I said "you can go pee pee now" and he peed to beat the band. I was so proud! All I could say was "M&M, M&M, a whole bag of M&Ms!!" Even the doctor was laughing at me!!

Then we were done. The tubes came out. The doctor said he would take the results right over to the urologist and the nurse walked us out. Suddenly she stopped when we reached my mom and she said, "I just have to give you a hug". So I hugged her and thanked her for her help and she said "I just wanted to tell you that my husband was adopted and his parents are wonderful. I think what you've done by bringing Daniel home is so special." I thanked her again and was so happy to have so much support on this day, first with the lady in the waiting room, and now the nurse.

Once we were able to talk to the doctor, the results were way better than I expected because I spent so much time researching the worst so I could be prepared not to fall apart at the office.

The results are:

1. The reflux is gone. G-O-N-E! I bounced in my chair. This means his kidney which had been so swollen for long, can finally start to heal!!

2. His bladder looks no worse and even looks a "shade" (the doctor's words) BETTER!! It is starting to shrink!!

3. His bladder is not as strong as they like to see...YET. Apparently he is still not emptying all the way. Most people empty to only 5 cc's left and he emptied to about 25 cc's or a little shy of 1 ounce.

4. At this point he may just GROW RIGHT OUT OF IT!! Or in other words GROW RIGHT INTO HIS BLADDER!!

There is still a small possibility it is neurological. Last time we went, the doctor explained that occasionally and actually rarely they will see a child with no neurological problems except the one small misfire leading to the bladder that causes this similar situation. In Daniel's case, he has no other neurological problems, so they don't expect to find anything, but they do want to do an MRI of his spine. Basically they are looking for corded nerves in the spine that could cause a weaker bladder. If they find that, it can be fixed at a young age. But if we don't check, it can become worse or unfixable when he's older. So of course, we are going to do the MRI. That's next and we are waiting for that appointment date to come in the mail. Also they want to do another sonogram to measure the left kidney to see how it is doing since it can heal now.

That being said the doctor looked at Daniel's spine thoroughly on the outside and said he saw nothing abnormal and really felt like they wouldn't find anything at all with the MRI but felt that we needed to rule it out also, which I agree.

So now we wait for the appointment for the MRI and sonogram. We'll be praying for continued healing of the kidney, the bladder and for the nerves to be just fine.

I am so excited. I know there is a possibility we aren't done yet, but I know God is healing Daniel and I know He is listening to all our and your prayers. Thank you so much!!

Oh – we got the MMR shot yesterday afternoon. Last shot until kindergarten age, what a relief for me – they are finally over!! Yesterday was a great day in my book!!!

27 comments:

Jane and Jim said...

AWESOME POST!!! I'm soooo glad to hear that he's doing better and it turned out to be a great day afterall!
I can only imagine how relieved you are - now you can concentrate on raising a perfectly healthy, active, crazy little man!!! YAY!!!!!

Jane said...

Oh this is such great news. Sounds like things are really moving in the right direction. I know you must be so relieved.

Isn't it fun to find all these people where adoption has touched their lives? I just love it.

Carolynn and Steve said...

Oh, yay, yippee, hooray and hallelujah! And a bunch of other excited words that I can't even think of right now!
I am so very happy to hear this--I was thinking about you guys just this morning and wondering how you are doing! God is good---all the time!

Big, happy dancing here!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

I am so happy for you all! PTL!!! Wonderful answer to prayer that is for sure.

I love the people that God put in your path to make your day even better. He has a way of doing that to provide comfort and encouragement.

Yeah Daniel!!!!

Kristine

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Thanks be to God! I'll continue my prayers that he grows into that bladder. . .what a good boy!

Mama Fish said...

Oh Rachel! Such great news!! What a testimony to how God took care of all of you with his encouragement. How he brings people across our path is just amazing! Daniel did SO WELL!! I am amazed at how well he did for that test, and before the test when he had to use the potty twice! WOW!!! He is an amazing little man. :-)

Joy said...

This is great news!! I think it all sounds like God is hearing all of our prayers. I find it so amazing when we pray how many things can be accomplished. I agree a whole bag of M&Ms for him and you too!
Joy

Joy said...

This is great news!! I think it all sounds like God is hearing all of our prayers. I find it so amazing when we pray how many things can be accomplished. I agree a whole bag of M&Ms for him and you too!
Joy

ko said...

So happy for you! I wanted to write you before and say that I suffered from reflux at a young age and because they did not "catch" it it destroyed too much of my kidneys and I currently have had a transplant for 25 years now! I have also been very fortunate to have adopted from Russia a beautiful, smart, girl in 2004 that is the light of my life and 6. I think what you did for Daniel is wonderful and thank you!

Craig and Phyllis said...

So glad to hear that things went SO WELL yesterday! What a blessing from the Lord that He put some wonderful people in your path as well!

Kami said...

God is so good! I am so happy that little Daniel is starting to heal! I have been praying for him and am continuing to do so! Sending you a hug!

Kami

Dede said...

Great news! I'm so happy to hear the test results were good. Tell Daniel to enjoy the M&M's ... he deserves them!

Roger and Joanne said...

What a fantastic day for your family! Such great news. I'm so happy to hear Daniel is getting better and the Dr. feels fairly confident the MRi will come out just fine. What you put out in the universe will come back tenfold. Positive healing and prayers from so many are being sent your way. I love M & M's--what a great way to celebrate!

Becky and Keith said...

What a great way to start and end your day! I'm so happy to hear how wonderful everything turned out. Monkey can't wait to see the Alligator REAL SOON! :-)

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

God is Good! I am so happy to hear the reflux is gone and his kidney is healing. My 6 year old is having that same test done next week. So I know just how you were feeling. It's wonderful that your mom was so supportive for you!

Jodi & John said...

That is great news!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for all of you! Keep the positive thoughts flowing!

Amy said...

Great news!! So excited for you guys and what a trooper Daniel was (and mom too!)

A big huge whew, eh?

Gary & Rosalie Clute said...

Great news!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Rachel-I'm so glad that you got such good news about the reflux and his bladder. Praise God! I'm so happy for you all and hope that this news has alleviated alot of your worries and concerns. It sounds like he did so well with the test! Please keep us updated on how he is doing!

Meghan, Bill and Nick said...

We're so happy for all of you! I'm so glad you had the support of your mom during all of this, what a blessing!

We look forward to further updates!

Carey and Norman said...

Congratulations. I'm so excited to read about Daniel and how great he is doing! What a blessing to get such positive results from the doctor. I will be thinking about you and praying for his MRI.

So, so excited about this news and am so proud of Daniel for being so calm during the procedure! He is so special!

Way to go Daniel!!

Jenny and Randy said...

Praise God! What wonderful news, Rachel, and what a big boy Daniel is to do so well with the proceedure last week! I know how hard those are for a mama to witness, and I'm so glad you were there for your baby and your mama was there for her baby, too! :) Please keep us posted on the MRI and sonogram, and we will keep the prayers coming.

The Landers 4 said...

What wonderful news! We are doing the happay dance for you too. PTL that He does answer prayers. Better watch our for the other end with that many M&M's - LOL.
Steve & Cheryl

Rich and Jolynn said...

So thrilled that his follow up tests are so positive. I think he will grow out of it and be just fine. He is such a cute boy. So nice to meet other folks that are adopting, it is a great club to be in, hehe.

Vicki said...

Such wonderful news! I will keep you ALL in my prayers for the upcoming tests and that Daniel will "outgrow" these conditions!

Chris said...

It was really nice to read about the kindness you received from the nurse and the lady with the foster child. That is so very cool!

What good news about the progress with Daniel's medical issues. We will pray for continued healing.

Thanks for sharing with us!

Susan said...

GREAT news!!! I'm so glad to hear this update. What a relief for your family.