Friday, December 14, 2007

Tree or No Tree – The Great Debate

And the answer is....No Tree. I know, I know, you’re probably thinking why in the world wouldn’t we put up a Christmas tree this year? So let me give you the run down on our decision.

First: We put out the outside decorations and we decorated the sideboard in our dining room all Christmassy – isn’t that enough?? If you think not, then read on!!!

Second: Animals – Jack (cat) licked up so much sap off the real tree we put up one year that we ended up at the emergency vet with a blocked kitty and a BIG bill. Elka (dog) bit all the glass balls off of our tree one year and we rose to colored piles of glass all over the living room. (Switched to wooden ornaments) Thank goodness she had been spitting them out along the way and her mouth was alright. Jerry (newest member and so timid) I really don’t want to terrify him by putting up a big, green thing in the living room or tempt him to eat the rest of the ornaments we own or have him accidentally pee on the tree thinking he’s outside. (We think his eyesight is not the greatest from past abuse.) If you still have questions see Becky and Keith’s blog about Callie, their adorable kitten jumping headfirst into the tree undecorating it as she goes!!

Third: I just don’t have time. We have our BIG adoptathon event at the SPCA this weekend where we have special prices and we schedule Santa and an Elf to deliver new pets Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and of course I’m working. There just isn’t time. If we are going to try to finish Christmas shopping, mail gifts to family and then be ready for a dinner party of 17 at our house Christmas Eve, then the tree has to go.


As for the adoption: So far I really have thrown in the towel for now. Will I make until after Christmas like I planned?? Probably not, although I am trying!!

Don’t forget to check out Michael and Carrie’s blog and say a Big congratulations to them on their Christmas miracle!

Next Christmas we’ll have a tree, a child and lots of new memories to make!! To those with new little ones celebrating your first Christmas together – ENJOY!!
Happy Holidays!!

10 comments:

Jane and Jim said...

Yep, next year will be different for all of us. Your tree will see plenty of use then - don't fret about it!

Chris said...

We are right with you on this one - we didn't put a tree either. Too much going on, and Grandma's tree will do this year. Next year will be different!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

I don't blame you a bit!! Next year will be all the more special since you didn't have a tree this year and will get to have one with your little Daniel!! :)

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

I'm with you Rachel! We did not put a tree up this year either! This was the first time since we've been married, but we've hardly been here the past few weeks and will be in Russia for Christmas. Next year you will have your son, and he will want to help you decorate it! It will be wonderful!

Janine said...

I have been having a hard time really getting into the swing of things too. I can't believe it's almost X-mas. It just doesn't feel like it for me, and maybe it's because I know our whole family isn't together yet. So I like the idea of thinking about next year's X-mas and how wonderful that will be having our children home to celebrate.

ana said...

I'm so glad to know I'm not alone! We did not put a tree up either! We moved into this house earlier this year. We decided that our first tree in this house will be next Christmas, when our child is here too. That will make it extra special. We're going to my mom's Christmas day, so we'll be able to enjoy her tree. I did put the rest of our decorations out, so at least the house is festive while we're finishing our dossier! I've spent more time thinking about next Christmas than I have about this one though!

MandyJo013078 said...

Merry Christmas - and you are in my prayers good luck with the pet adoptions!

Jane said...

I don't blame you, I didn't put up a tree while I was waiting last year, it has made this year all the more special. Next year, you will have so much fun with it all, a great time to look forward to.

Carey and Norman said...

I understand as we decorated a small, blue spruce the first year after our son was born. It wasn't very big and we then planted it at the house we built. Next year, you will want to put up a tree again!

I too look forward to next Christmas when we have our little ones home with us to celebrate!

Becky and Keith said...

Oh, I sooooo think you should put the tree up so your animals can torture it. :-) Seriously, I'm with you - better to leave it down!